- An example of expediency is a company that's losing money laying off employees.
- An example of expediency is a politician appointing someone to a position because they donated money to their campaign.
Expediency is defined as someone or something that is defined as appropriate for a situation or someone doing something for selfish reasons.
- the quality or state of being expedient; suitability for a given purpose; appropriateness to the conditions
- the doing or consideration of what is of selfish use or advantage rather than of what is right or just; self-interest
- pl. -·cies an expedient
- Appropriateness to the purpose at hand.
- Adherence to self-serving means: a politician, guided by expediency rather than principle.
- A means; an expedient.
(countable and uncountable, plural expediencies)