- Expediently is defined as something done quickly or efficiently, or an answer or solution based on what is right or just.
- If you are checked in for your flight and whisked through security in a total of five minutes flat, this is an example of when you move expediently.
- If a decision was made because it went with public opinion, this is asn example of a decision which was made expediently.
Variant of expedient
- useful for effecting a desired result; suited to the circumstances or the occasion; advantageous; convenient
- based on or offering what is of use or advantage rather than what is right or just; guided by self-interest; politic
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French ; from Classical Latin expediens, present participle of expedire: see expedite
- an expedient thing; means to an end
- a device used in an emergency; makeshift; resource
- expediently adverb
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.