- Self-interest is defined as being focused on yourself or putting yourself at an advantage.
An example of self-interest is thinking about your needs above the needs of others around you.
self-interest definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- one's own interest or advantage
- an exaggerated regard for this, esp. when at the expense of others
self-interest definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Selfish or excessive regard for one's personal advantage or interest.
- Personal advantage or interest.
- selfˈ-inˈter·est·ed adjective