A mother and daughter each carrying an umbrella.
- Umbrella is something that is designed to cover multiple items at the same time.
An example of umbrella is an insurance policy that provides protection in many situations; an umbrella policy.
- The definition of an umbrella is a piece of material stretched over a round spoked frame that provides shade or protection from rain, or something that protects.
- An example of an umbrella is what the character Mary Poppins holds while she's floating in the air in the film Mary Poppins.
- An example of an umbrella is a pricing policy that protects the consumer against paying too much; a price umbrella.
- a screen or shade, usually of cloth stretched over a folding radial frame, carried for protection against the rain or sun
- something suggestive of this; specif.,
- the body of a jellyfish
- any comprehensive, protective organization, alliance, strategy, or device: the umbrella of insurance
- a force of military aircraft sent up to screen ground or naval forces: air umbrella
Origin of umbrellaItalian ombrella from Late Latin umbrella (altered by associated, association with Classical Latin umbra, shade) from Classical Latin umbella, parasol, diminutive of umbra, shade
- A device for protection from the weather consisting of a collapsible, usually circular canopy mounted on a central rod.
- a. Something shaped like an umbrella: the umbrella of a mushroom.b. The gelatinous, rounded mass that makes up the major part of the medusa stage of most jellyfish and certain other cnidarians.
- a. Something that covers or protects: The researcher's job was saved by the umbrella of academic freedom.b. Air cover, especially during a military operation.
Origin of umbrellaItalian ombrella from Late Latin umbrella alteration ( influenced by umbra shade ) of Latin umbella parasol ; see umbel .
- Cloth-covered frame used for protection against rain or sun.
- Quick, grab that umbrella before you get rained on!
- Generally, anything that provides protection.
- The fighters provide a defensive air umbrella over the battle group.
- Something that covers a wide range of concepts, purposes, groups and etc.
- The test facility was established under the umbrella of the company's quality program.
- The main body of a jellyfish, excluding the tentacles.
- Jellyfish are composed of more than 90% water and most of their umbrella mass is made up of gelatinous material.