- Molest is defined as to harm, or to make unwanted sexual advances, or to sexually assault.
- An example of molest is someone cutting off a cat's tail.
- An example of molest is a teacher putting his hands up a girl student's skirt.
- An example of molest is a brother forcing his younger sister to have sex with him.
- to annoy, interfere with, or meddle with so as to trouble or harm, or with intent to trouble or harm
- ☆ to make improper advances to, esp. of a sexual nature
- to assault or attack (esp. a child) sexually
Origin of molestMiddle English molesten ; from Old French molester ; from Classical Latin molestare ; from molestus, troublesome ; from moles, a burden: see mole
transitive verbmo·lest·ed, mo·lest·ing, mo·lests
- To disturb, interfere with, or annoy: “Adams warned them not to molest American ships engaged in lawful commerce” (Walter McDougall).
- a. To subject (a child) to sexual contact.b. To subject (an adult) to unwanted sexual contact.
Origin of molestMiddle English molesten, from Old French molester, from Latin molestāre, from molestus, troublesome.
(third-person singular simple present molests, present participle molesting, simple past and past participle molested)