- The definition of a hassle is an argument or a fight.
An example of hassle is two people getting into a heated debate about politics in a bar.
- Hassle is defined as to bother, annoy or harass someone.
An example of hassle is a group of men yelling vulgar words at a woman across the street from them.
- a heated argument; squabble
- a troublesome situation
Origin of hasslefrom uncertain or unknown; perhaps
intransitive verb-·sled, -·sling
- An argument or a fight.
- Trouble; bother.
verbhas·sled, has·sling, has·sles
Origin of hassleFrom American dialectal (Southeast) hassle to pant (as from exertion) perhaps of imitative origin or akin to British dialectal hassle to hack at, saw away at with a blunt blade
(third-person singular simple present hassles, present participle hassling, simple past and past participle hassled)
- To trouble, to bother, to annoy.
- The unlucky boy was hassled by a gang of troublemakers on his way home.
- To pick a fight or start an argument.