- The definition of a scuffle is a struggle or fight, often done quickly or in a confused way.
An example of a scuffle is a minor schoolyard fight.
- Scuffle is defined as to struggle or fight in a hurried or confused way.
An example of scuffle is to have a quick fight with arms and legs going in many directions during the fight.
Two girls having a scuffle.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- to struggle or fight in rough confusion
- to move in a confused hurry or bustle
- to drag the feet; shuffle
- ☆ Informal to try hard but with little or no success; specif., to struggle to survive
Origin: freq. of scuff
- a rough, confused fight; close, haphazard struggle
- the act or sound of feet shuffling
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
intransitive verb scuf·fled, scuf·fling, scuf·fles
- To fight or struggle confusedly at close quarters.
- To shuffle.
Origin: Probably frequentative of scuff.
- scufˈfler noun
Origin: Dutch schoffel, hoe for weeding, from Middle Dutch, hoe, shovel.
close-up of a scuffle head