- How is defined as in what way.
An example of how is to ask in what manner a building was constructed.
how definition by Webster's New World
- in what manner or way; by what means
- in what state or condition
- for what reason or purpose; why: how is it that you don't know?
- by what name
- with what meaning; to what effect
- to what extent, degree, amount, etc.
- at what price
- ☆ Informal what: usually a request to repeat something said
Origin: Middle English hwu, hu ; from Old English akin to Old High German hweo (Ger wie), Gothic hwai-wa ; from Indo-European interrogative base an unverified form kwo-, an unverified form kwe- from source why, who, Classical Latin quo, Sanskrit kā
- the manner or way in which: show us how you did it
- the state or condition in which: ask him how he's been
- the extent, degree, amount, etc. to which: do you know how I despise you?
- in whatever manner or way: judge him how you will
- Informal that: he told us how he was happy about it
how definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- In what manner or way; by what means: How does this machine work?
- In what state or condition: How is she today?
- To what extent, amount, or degree: How bad was it?
- For what reason or purpose; why: How is it that he left early?
- With what meaning: How should I take that remark?
- By what name: How is she called?
- By what measure; in what units: How do you sell this corn?
- What. Usually used in requesting that something be said again: How's that again?
- Used as an intensive: How we laughed!
- The manner or way in which: forgot how it was done.
- In whatever way or manner; however: Cook it how you please.
Origin: Middle English howe, from Old English hū; see kwo- in Indo-European roots.
how - Business Definition
how - Phrases/Idioms
how about something?
how about that!
- what is the meaning of this?
- how else?
how about that