- in what manner or way; by what means
- in what state or condition
- for what reason or purpose; why: how is it that you don't know?
- by what name
- with what meaning; to what effect
- to what extent, degree, amount, etc.
- at what price
- Informal what: usually a request to repeat something said
Origin of howMiddle English hwu, hu from OE, akin to Old High German hweo (Ger wie), Gothic hwai-wa from Indo-European interrogative base an unverified form kwo-, an unverified form kwe- from source why, who, Classical Latin quo, Sanskrit k?
- the manner or way in which: show us how you did it
- the state or condition in which: ask him how he's been
- the extent, degree, amount, etc. to which: do you know how I despise you?
- in whatever manner or way: judge him how you will
- Informal that: he told us how he was happy about it
how about something?
how about that!
how do you do?
- what is the meaning of this?
- how else?