- Slapstick is a kind of comedy based on practical jokes, collisions, clumsiness and embarrassing events.
An example of slapstick is comedy performed by the television characters called the Three Stooges where people get poked in the eye or pies in the face.
slapstick definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- an implement made of two flat pieces of wood that slap together loudly when hit against something: sometimes used by clowns to strike others with loud, harmless slaps
- crude comedy in which the humor depends upon violent activity, horseplay, etc.
characterized by such comedy
slapstick definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A boisterous form of comedy marked by chases, collisions, and crude practical jokes.
- A paddle designed to produce a loud whacking sound, formerly used by performers in farces.