- a blow or smack, esp. with something flat, specif. the palm of the hand
- the sound of this, or a sound like it
- an injury to pride, self-respect, etc., as an insult or rebuff
Origin of slapLow German sklapp: of echoic origin, originally
transitive verbslapped, slap′ping
- to strike with something flat, specif. the palm of the hand
- to put, throw, hit, etc. carelessly or with force: to slap a hat on one's head
- to penalize (a person, business, etc.) with a fine, lawsuit, etc.
- to impose (a fine, etc.) on a person, business, etc.