- The definition of sleek is someone or something that is smooth, glossy, shiny, well-groomed or sophisticated.
- Shiny and well-groomed hair is an example of hair that would be described as sleek.
- A shiny new sports car with clean lines is an example of a car that would be described as sleek.
- smooth and shiny; glossy, as a highly polished surface, well-kept hair or fur, etc.
- of well-fed or well-groomed appearance: fat, sleek pigeons
- polished in speech and behavior, esp. in a specious way; unctuous
- highly fashionable, or stylish; elegant
Origin: var. of slick, with Early Modern English vowel lengthening
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
adjective sleek·er, sleek·est
- Smooth and lustrous as if polished; glossy: brushed her hair until it was sleek.
- Well-groomed and neatly tailored.
- Healthy or well-fed; thriving.
- Polished or smooth in manner, especially in an unctuous way; slick.
- To make sleek; slick: sleeked his hair with pomade.
- To gloss over; conceal.
Origin: Variant of slick.
- sleekˈly adverb
- sleekˈness noun