- The definition of grateful is feeling or showing thanks or appreciation for something.
An example of grateful is how you feel when you are thirsty and someone brings you an icy glass of water.
- feeling or expressing gratitude; thankful; appreciative
- causing gratitude; welcome; pleasing
Origin of gratefulobs grate, pleasing (; from Classical Latin gratus: see grace) + -ful
- Appreciative of benefits received; thankful: I'm grateful for your help.
- Expressing gratitude: a grateful look.
- Affording pleasure or comfort; agreeable: grateful relief from the hot sun.
Origin of gratefulFrom obsolete grate, pleasing, from Latin grātus; see gwer&schwa;-2 in Indo-European roots.
(comparative gratefuller or more grateful, superlative gratefullest or most grateful)