An example of grateful is how you feel when you are thirsty and someone brings you an icy glass of water.
- feeling or expressing gratitude; thankful; appreciative
- causing gratitude; welcome; pleasing
Origin of gratefulobsolete grate, pleasing (; from Classical Latin gratus: see grace) + -ful
- Appreciative of benefits received; thankful: I'm grateful for your help.
- Expressing gratitude: a grateful look.
- Affording pleasure or comfort; agreeable: grateful relief from the hot sun.
Origin of gratefulFrom obsolete grate, pleasing, from Latin gratus; see gwer&schwa;-2 in Indo-European roots.
(comparative gratefuller or more grateful, superlative gratefullest or most grateful)