- The definition of grateful is feeling or showing thanks or appreciation for something.
An example of grateful is how you feel when you are thirsty and someone brings you an icy glass of water.
grateful definition by Webster's New World
- feeling or expressing gratitude; thankful; appreciative
- causing gratitude; welcome; pleasing
Origin: obs grate, pleasing (; from Classical Latin gratus: see grace) plush -ful
grateful definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Appreciative of benefits received; thankful.
- Expressing gratitude.
- Affording pleasure or comfort; agreeable.
Origin: From obsolete grate, pleasing, from Latin grātus; see gwerə-2 in Indo-European roots.
- grateˈful·ly adverb
- grateˈful·ness noun