- The definition of appreciation refers to the recognition or admiration of something.
Holding something in high regard, like a work of art, is an example of having an appreciation of it.
- Appreciation is defined as feelings of thankfulness.
Receiving an award from a charity for your work is an example of receiving an award as appreciation of your work.
- The definition of appreciation is growth in the price or worth of something.
If a house costs more today that it did 10 years ago, that is an example of the appreciation of the house.
- the act or fact of appreciating; specif.,
- proper estimation or enjoyment
- grateful recognition, as of a favor
- sensitive awareness or enjoyment, as of art
- a judgment or evaluation
- ⌂ a rise in value or price
- Recognition of the quality, value, significance, or magnitude of people and things.
- A judgment or opinion, especially a favorable one.
- An expression of gratitude.
- Awareness or delicate perception, especially of aesthetic qualities or values.
- A rise in value or price, especially over time.
(countable and uncountable, plural appreciations)
- A just valuation or estimate of merit, worth, weight, etc.; recognition of excellence.
- Accurate perception; true estimation; as, an appreciation of the difficulties before us; an appreciation of colors.
- His foreboding showed his appreciation of Henry's character. —J. R. Green.
- A rise in value;—opposed to depreciation.
From French appréciation.
appreciation - Investment & Finance Definition
The increase in value, over time, of an asset, stock or investment. The opposite is depreciation.
appreciation - Legal Definition
- The incremental increase in an asset’s value, usually because of inflation. Compare depreciation.
- The awareness or understanding of the meaning, significance, value, or worth of something.