When your friend helps you to get your job, this is an example of when you may feel indebted to him.
- in debt or under legal obligation to repay something received
- owing gratitude, as for a favor received
Origin of indebtedMiddle English endetted ; from Old French endeté, past participle of endetter ; from en- (L in-) + dette: see debt
- Owing money, goods, or services to someone; in debt.
- Morally or socially obligated to another; beholden.
Origin of indebtedMiddle English endetted, from Old French endette, past participle of endetter, to oblige : en-, causative pref.; see en–1 + dette, debt; see debt.
- simple past tense and past participle of indebt
(comparative more indebted, superlative most indebted)
- (usually with to) Obligated, especially financially.