The definition of indebted is that you owe money or favors to someone.
When your friend helps you to get your job, this is an example of when you may feel indebted to him.
- in debt or under legal obligation to repay something received
- owing gratitude, as for a favor received
Origin of indebtedMiddle English endetted ; from Old French endeté, past participle of endetter ; from en- (L in-) + dette: see debt
- Owing money, goods, or services to someone; in debt.
- Morally or socially obligated to another; beholden.
Origin of indebtedMiddle English endetted, from Old French endette, past participle of endetter, to oblige : en-, causative pref.; see en–1 + dette, debt; see debt.
- simple past tense and past participle of indebt
(comparative more indebted, superlative most indebted)
- (usually with to) Obligated, especially financially.