- to register at a hotel, convention, etc.
- to report, as by presenting oneself
check in at the office
- to mark as verified, examined, etc.
- to settle one's bill and leave a hotel, hospital, etc.
- to add up the prices of purchases and collect the total
- to examine the record, character, actions, etc. of; investigate
- in restraint; under control
Other Word Forms of Check
Origin of Check
Middle English chek check in chess from Old French eschec from Arabic šāh from Persian king, check shah
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
Find Similar Words
Find similar words to check using the buttons below.