- A spinelike process on the leg of some birds.
- A climbing iron; a crampon.
- A gaff attached to the leg of a gamecock.
- A short or stunted branch of a tree.
- A bony outgrowth or protuberance.
An example of to spur is to cheer on a friend in a race.
An example of spur is a prize that drives someone to win the race.
An example of spur is an item that a cowboy wears on his boots.
A spur to action.
- A spinelike process, as on the wings or legs of certain birds.
- A spinelike outgrowth of bone, as on the human heel, resulting from injury, disease, etc.
- A sharp metal device attached as a weapon to the leg of a gamecock in a cockfight.
- A short, stunted, or projecting branch or shoot of a tree, etc.
- hastily and abruptly; without forethought or preparation
- to attain distinction or honor, esp. for the first time; establish one's reputation