- Pressure is an application of force by pressing, or an urgent demand or force which can cause stress.
An example of pressure is holding a bandage firmly on an open cut.
A doctor applies pressure to this bandage.
pressure definition by Webster's New World
- a pressing or being pressed; compression; squeezing
- a condition of distress; oppression; affliction
- a sense impression caused by or as by compression of a part of the body
- a compelling influence; constraining force: social pressure
- demands requiring immediate attention; urgency
- atmospheric pressure
- blood pressure
- Obsolete a mark made by pressing; impression
- Physics force per unit of area: abbrev. P
Origin: Old French ; from Classical Latin pressura, a pressing (LL(Ec), oppression, affliction) ; from pressus, past participle of premere, to press
pressure definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The act of pressing.b. The condition of being pressed.
- The application of continuous force by one body on another that it is touching; compression.
- Abbr. P Physics Force applied uniformly over a surface, measured as force per unit of area.
- Meteorology Atmospheric pressure.
- A compelling or constraining influence, such as a moral force, on the mind or will: pressure to conform; peer-group pressure.
- Urgent claim or demand: under the pressure of business; doesn't work well under pressure.
- An oppressive condition of physical, mental, social, or economic distress.
- A physical sensation produced by compression of a part of the body.
- Archaic A mark made by application of force or weight; an impression.
- To force, as by overpowering influence or persuasion.
- To pressurize.
- To pressure-cook.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin pressūra, from pressus, past participle of premere, to press; see per-4 in Indo-European roots.
pressure - Cultural Definition
The force exerted on a given area. (See atmospheric pressure.)
- The most familiar measure of pressure is psi (pounds per square inch), used to rate pressure in automobile and bicycle tires.
pressure - Medical Definition
- The act of pressing or condition of being pressed.
- A stress or force acting in any direction against resistance.
- Force applied uniformly over a surface, measured as force per unit of area.
pressure - Science Definition