The definition of customary is something done in accordance with accepted standards, rules or models of behavior.
Behavior that is accepted as normal in a society is an example of customary behavior.
- in keeping with custom, or usage; usual; habitual
- Law holding or held by custom
Origin of customaryMedieval Latin customarius: see custom
a collection of the laws established by custom for a manor, region, etc.
- Commonly practiced, used, or encountered; usual. See Synonyms at usual.
- Based on custom or tradition rather than written law or contract.
- A book containing laws and usages, or customs; a custumal.
(comparative more customary, superlative most customary)
- Agreeing with, or established by, custom; established by common usage; conventional; habitual.
- Holding or held by custom; as, customary tenants; customary service or estate.