- The definition of customary is something done in accordance with accepted standards, rules or models of behavior.
Behavior that is accepted as normal in a society is an example of customary behavior.
customary definition by Webster's New World
- in keeping with custom, or usage; usual; habitual
- Law holding or held by custom
Origin: Midieval Latin customarius: see custom
noun pl. customaries
a collection of the laws established by custom for a manor, region, etc.
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- customariness noun
customary definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Commonly practiced, used, or encountered; usual. See Synonyms at usual.
- Based on custom or tradition rather than written law or contract.
- cusˌtom·arˈi·ly adverb
- cusˈtom·arˌi·ness noun