- The definition of customary is something done in accordance with accepted standards, rules or models of behavior.
Behavior that is accepted as normal in a society is an example of customary behavior.
- in keeping with custom, or usage; usual; habitual
- Law holding or held by custom
Origin: Midieval Latin customarius: see custom
- customariness noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Commonly practiced, used, or encountered; usual. See Synonyms at usual.
- Based on custom or tradition rather than written law or contract.
- cusˌtom·arˈi·ly adverb
- cusˈtom·arˌi·ness noun