Alphabet letters for children.
A, B, C and D are examples of letters of the alphabet.
- the letters of a language, arranged in a traditional order
- a system of characters, signs, or symbols used to indicate letters or speech sounds
- the first elements or principles, as of a branch of knowledge
Origin of alphabetEcclesiastical Late Latin alphabetum from Late Greek alphab?tos from Classical Greek alpha + b?ta, the first two letters of the Greek alphabet
- The letters of a language, arranged in the order fixed by custom.
- A system of characters or symbols representing sounds or things.
- A set of basic parts or elements: “genetic markers … that contain repeated sequences of the DNA alphabet” ( Sandra Blakeslee )
Origin of alphabetMiddle English alphabete from Latin alphabētum from Greek alphabētos alpha alpha ; see alpha . bēta beta ; see beta .
- The set of letters used when writing in a language.
- The Greek alphabet has only twenty-four letters.
- In the first year of school, pupils are taught to recite the alphabet.
- A writing system in which letters represent phonemes. (Contrast e.g. logography, a writing system in which each character represents a word, and syllabary, in which each character represents a syllable.)
- (computer science) A typically finite set of distinguishable symbols.
- Let be a regular language over the alphabet .
- (India) An individual letter of an alphabet; an alphabetic character.
- The simplest rudiments; elements.
(third-person singular simple present alphabets, present participle alphabeting, simple past and past participle alphabeted)
alphabet - Computer Definition
A holding company formed by Google in 2015 to better represent the diverse projects Google has undertaken over the years. Following are the various divisions. See Google, Android, YouTube, Gmail, Google X Lab and Waymo. Alphabet - Web search, Android, YouTube, Gmail, Chrome Access - high-speed Internet Calico - biotech DeepMind - AI Google X - R&D Jigsaw - think tank Nest Labs - home automation Verily - smart contact lenses Waymo - driverless cards