- The definition of understood is agreed upon.
An example of understood are the conditions that had already been voted upon by the committee before voting on the major issue; the understood conditions.
- Understood is defined as to have known or realized the meaning.
An example of understood is to have grasped the concepts of the quadratic equation.
- known; comprehended
- agreed upon
- implied but not expressed
- Agreed on; assumed: the understood conditions of troop withdrawal.
- Not expressed in writing; implied: the understood provisos of a custody agreement.
(comparative more understood, superlative most understood)
- Of things which have been comprehended.
- Simple past tense and past participle of understand.
- Indicates comprehension on the part of the speaker.
Variant of understand
transitive verbunderstood, understanding
- to get or perceive the meaning of; know or grasp what is meant by; comprehend: to understand a question
- to gather or assume from what is heard, known, etc.; infer: are we to understand that you want to go?
- to take as meant or meaning; interpret: to understand his silence as refusal
- to take for granted or as a fact: it is understood that no one is to leave
- to supply mentally (an idea, word, etc.), as for grammatical completeness
- to get as information; learn
- to know thoroughly; grasp or perceive clearly and fully the nature, character, functioning, etc. of
- to have a sympathetic rapport with: no one understands me
Origin of understandMiddle English understanden ; from Old English understandan, literally , to stand among, hence observe, understand
- to have understanding, comprehension, sympathetic awareness, etc., either in general or with reference to something specific
- to be informed; believe: he is, I understand, no longer here