- The definition of understood is agreed upon.
An example of understood are the conditions that had already been voted upon by the committee before voting on the major issue; the understood conditions.
- Understood is defined as to have known or realized the meaning.
An example of understood is to have grasped the concepts of the quadratic equation.
understood definition by Webster's New World
- known; comprehended
- agreed upon
- implied but not expressed
understood definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Agreed on; assumed: the understood conditions of troop withdrawal.
- Not expressed in writing; implied: the understood provisos of a custody agreement.
Variant of understand
- to get or perceive the meaning of; know or grasp what is meant by; comprehend: to understand a question
- to gather or assume from what is heard, known, etc.; infer: are we to understand that you want to go?
- to take as meant or meaning; interpret: to understand his silence as refusal
- to take for granted or as a fact: it is understood that no one is to leave
- to supply mentally (an idea, word, etc.), as for grammatical completeness
- to get as information; learn
- to know thoroughly; grasp or perceive clearly and fully the nature, character, functioning, etc. of
- to have a sympathetic rapport with: no one understands me
Origin: Middle English understanden ; from Old English understandan, literally , to stand among, hence observe, understand
- to have understanding, comprehension, sympathetic awareness, etc., either in general or with reference to something specific
- to be informed; believe: he is, I understand, no longer here