- The definition of silent is making no noise or not talking.
- A person who rarely talks is an example of someone who is the strong, silent type.
- A movie that doesn't have any sound is an example of a silent movie.
silent definition by Webster's New World
- making no vocal sound; not speaking; speechless; mute
- seldom speaking; saying little; not talkative
- free from, or not making, sound or noise; quiet; still; noiseless
- not spoken, uttered, or expressed: silent longing
- included in the spelling of a word but with no part of the word's pronunciation corresponding directly to it: said of a letter or group of letters: silent b in “debt” and gh in “thought”
- withholding knowledge or omitting mention; uncommunicative
- not active: factories silent for months
- designating or of films without a synchronized soundtrack
- not having noticeable symptoms: a silent heart attack
Origin: Classical Latin silens ; from present participle of silere, to be silent, still, probably ; from Indo-European base an unverified form sē(i)-, an unverified form sī-, to rest from source seed, side, Gothic (ana)silan, to cease (of the wind)
- silently adverb
silent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Marked by absence of noise or sound; still.
- Not inclined to speak; not talkative.
- Unable to speak.
- Refraining from speech: Do be silent.
- Not voiced or expressed; unspoken: a silent curse; silent consent.
- Inactive; quiescent: a silent volcano.
- Linguistics Having no phonetic value; unpronounced: the silent b in subtle.
- Having no spoken dialogue and usually no soundtrack. Used of a film.
- Producing no detectable signs or symptoms: a silent heart attack.
Origin: Latin silēns, silent-, present participle of silēre, to be silent.
- siˈlent·ly adverb
- siˈlent·ness noun
silent - Medical Definition
silent - Science Definition
- Relating to a mutation that changes a nucleotide in a codon without a difference in the amino acid for which it is coded. See more at point mutation.
- Producing no detectable signs or symptoms, as a medical condition such as heart attack.