- The definition of irreversible is something that cannot be altered, changed or undone.
Having your tonsils permanently removed is an example of an irreversible operation.
- that cannot be repealed or annulled
- that cannot be turned inside out, run backward, etc.
- ir′re·vers′i·bil′i·ty, ir′re·vers′i·ble·ness
(comparative more irreversible, superlative most irreversible)
- Incapable of being reversed or turned about or back; incapable of being made to run backward.
- an irreversible engine
- Incapable of being reversed, recalled, repealed, or annulled.
- an irreversible sentence or decree
- (thermodynamics) Incapable of being reversed to the original state without consumption of free energy and increase of entropy.