- Present participle of silence.
- The act by which something is silenced.
Variant of silence
- the state or fact of keeping silent; a refraining from speech or from making noise
- absence of any sound or noise; stillness
- a withholding of knowledge or omission of mention: to note an author's silence on a point
- failure to communicate, write, keep in touch, etc.
- oblivion or obscurity
Origin of silenceOld French ; from Classical Latin silentium ; from silens: see silent
transitive verbsilenced, silencing
- to cause to be silent; still; quiet
- to put down; repress
- to put (enemy guns) out of action