If you believe that the color of your new dress is yellow and it is really blue, this is an example of when you are mistaken.
- wrong; having an incorrect understanding, perception, etc.: said of persons
- incorrect; misunderstood; erroneous: said of ideas, etc.
- Wrong or incorrect in opinion, understanding, or perception.
- Based on error; wrong: a mistaken view of the situation.
- Past participle of mistake
- I'm frequently mistaken for my brother.
(comparative more mistaken, superlative most mistaken)
- The phrase if I'm not mistaken (variations) is used to indicate that one is uncertain about something one has said.
- Nouns to which mistaken is often applied: identity, belief, notion, view, assumption, impression, idea, thinking, identification, diagnosis, interpretation, person, opinion, conclusion, judgment, conception, perception, theory, reading, concept.