The definition of mistaken is someone or something that is wrong, misguided or based on faulty or incorrect information.
If you believe that the color of your new dress is yellow and it is really blue, this is an example of when you are mistaken.
- wrong; having an incorrect understanding, perception, etc.: said of persons
- incorrect; misunderstood; erroneous: said of ideas, etc.
Past participle of mistake
- Wrong or incorrect in opinion, understanding, or perception.
- Based on error; wrong: a mistaken view of the situation.
- Past participle of mistake
- I'm frequently mistaken for my brother.
(comparative more mistaken, superlative most mistaken)
- The phrase if I'm not mistaken (variations) is used to indicate that one is uncertain about something one has said.
- Nouns to which mistaken is often applied: identity, belief, notion, view, assumption, impression, idea, thinking, identification, diagnosis, interpretation, person, opinion, conclusion, judgment, conception, perception, theory, reading, concept.