- The definition of mistaken is someone or something that is wrong, misguided or based on faulty or incorrect information.
If you believe that the color of your new dress is yellow and it is really blue, this is an example of when you are mistaken.
mistaken definition by Webster's New World
- wrong; having an incorrect understanding, perception, etc.: said of persons
- incorrect; misunderstood; erroneous: said of ideas, etc.
- mistakenly adverb
mistaken definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Wrong or incorrect in opinion, understanding, or perception.
- Based on error; wrong: a mistaken view of the situation.
- mis·takˈen·ly adverb
Variant of mistake
- to understand or perceive wrongly; interpret or judge incorrectly: mistake someone's motives
- to take (someone or something) to be another; recognize or identify incorrectly: to mistake one twin for the other
Origin: Middle English mistaken ; from Old Norse mistaka, to take wrongly: see mis- and amp; take
- a fault in understanding, perception, interpretation, etc.
- an idea, answer, act, etc. that is wrong; error