The definition of habitual is done by habit.
An example of habitual used as an adjective is the phrase a "habitual walk" which means a walk that someone goes on each day.
- formed or acquired by continual use; done by habit or fixed as a habit; customary
- being or doing a certain thing by habit; steady; inveterate: a habitual smoker
- much seen, done, or used; usual; frequent
Origin of habitualMedieval Latin habitualis, of habit or dress: see habit
- a. Done by habit: habitual lying.b. Being so by habit: a habitual liar. See Synonyms at chronic.
- Established by long use; usual: my habitual place. See Synonyms at usual.
- Grammar Designating an action or state that lasts for or is repeated over an extended duration, expressed in English by such means as the simple present tense ( She works downtown ) and the phrase used to ( A factory used to be located at that intersection ).
(comparative more habitual, superlative most habitual)