habitual[hə bic̸h′o̵̅o̅ əl]
- The definition of habitual is done by habit.
An example of habitual used as an adjective is the phrase a "habitual walk" which means a walk that someone goes on each day.
- formed or acquired by continual use; done by habit or fixed as a habit; customary
- being or doing a certain thing by habit; steady; inveterate: a habitual smoker
- much seen, done, or used; usual; frequent
Origin of habitualMedieval Latin habitualis, of habit or dress: see habit
- a. Done by habit: habitual lying.b. Being so by habit: a habitual liar. See Synonyms at chronic.
- Established by long use; usual: my habitual place. See Synonyms at usual.
- Grammar Designating an action or state that lasts for or is repeated over an extended duration, expressed in English by such means as the simple present tense (She works downtown) and the phrase used to (A factory used to be located at that intersection).
(comparative more habitual, superlative most habitual)