Act in accord with university policies.
An example of coming to an accord is the signing of a peace treaty between two countries.
An example of the usage of this colloquialism is: “No one asked me to do so, but I cleaned the entire house on my own accord.”
The strikers and the owners reached an accord.
The children returned on their own accord. He confessed of his own accord.
An example of an accord is a good friendship between two people.
An example of an accord is a peace keeping agreement between two countries.
The accord of light and shade in painting.
The Geneva Accord of 1954 ended the French-Indochinese War.
Nobody told me to do it. I did it of my own accord.
Accorded the president the proper deference.
- willingly, without being asked
- all agreeing; with no one dissenting
Other Word Forms
Idioms and Phrasal Verbs
Origin of accord
- Middle English accorden from Old French acorder from Medieval Latin accordāre to bring into agreement Latin ad- ad- Latin cor cord- heart kerd- in Indo-European roots
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
- The verb is first attested in early 12th century.
- First attested in the late 13th century.