- The definition of a muzzle is the nose and mouth part of an animal, or a device that goes over the nose and mouth of an animal.
- An example of a muzzle is a dog's snout.
- An example of a muzzle is a fabric instrument that goes over a dog's snout to prevent biting.
- Muzzle is defined as to prevent from biting or making noise.
An example of muzzle is to put your hand over someone's mouth.
- the projecting part of the head of a dog, horse, etc., including the mouth, nose, and jaws; snout
- a device, as of straps, fastened over the mouth of an animal to prevent its biting or eating
- anything that prevents free speech or discussion
- the front end of the barrel of a firearm
Origin of muzzleMiddle English mosel from Old French musel, snout, muzzle, diminutive of mus from Medieval Latin musum from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
transitive verb-·zled, -·zling
- to put a muzzle on (an animal)
- to prevent from talking or expressing an opinion; gag
- The forward, projecting part of the head of certain animals, such as dogs, including the mouth, nose, and jaws; the snout.
- A device that is fitted over an animal's snout, often used to prevent biting or eating.
- The forward, discharging end of the barrel of a firearm.
- A restraint on free movement or expression: had a muzzle put on their high spirits.
transitive verbmuz·zled, muz·zling, muz·zles
- To put a muzzle on (an animal).
- To restrain from expression: tried to muzzle the opposition.
Origin of muzzleMiddle English mosel from Old French musel from Medieval Latin mūsellum diminutive of mūsus snout from Latin mūsum
- The protruding part of many animal's head which includes nose, mouth and jaws; snout
- The mouth or the end for entrance or discharge of a gun, pistol etc., that the bullet emerges from as opposed to the breech.
- A device used to prevent animal from biting or eating, which is worn on its snout.
- (chiefly Scotland) A piece of the forward end of the plow-beam by which the traces are attached; bridle
(third-person singular simple present muzzles, present participle muzzling, simple past and past participle muzzled)