- The definition of a snout is a projecting nose, or is the nose of an animal that sticks out.
A dog's nose and muzzle is an example of a snout.
snout definition by Webster's New World
- the projecting nose and jaws, or muzzle, of an animal
- an anterior prolongation of the head resembling this, as in a weevil; rostrum
- something like an animal's snout, as a nozzle
- Informal a human nose, esp. a large one
Origin: Middle English snoute, probably ; from Middle Dutch snute, akin to German schnauze ; from Indo-European base an unverified form snā-, an unverified form sneu-, to drip fluid, wetness from source Classical Latin natare, to swim, nutrire, to nurse
snout definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The projecting nose, jaws, or anterior facial part of an animal's head.b. A similar prolongation of the anterior portion of the head in certain insects, such as weevils; a rostrum.c. A spout or nozzle shaped like such a projection.
- Slang The human nose.
Origin: Middle English, probably of Old English origin.