- The definition of comfortable is mind and body being at ease or someone that makes a person feel secure, happy or relaxed.
- Sitting in a soft chair is an example of being comfortable.
- Giving a really good hug is an example of a comfortable person.
- A soft and plush chair is an example of comfortable furniture.
A woman sitting on a comfortable sofa.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- providing comfort or ease
- in a state of comfort; at ease in body or mind; contented
- Informal sufficient to satisfy; adequate: a comfortable salary
Origin: Middle English ; from Midieval Latin confortabilis
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Providing physical comfort: a comfortable chair.
- Free from stress or anxiety; at ease: not comfortable about the interview.
- Producing feelings of ease or security: a comfortable person; a comfortable evening at home.
- Sufficient to provide financial security: comfortable earnings.
- comˈfort·a·ble·ness noun
- comˈfort·a·bly adverb