A woman sitting on a comfortable sofa.
- Sitting in a soft chair is an example of being comfortable.
- Giving a really good hug is an example of a comfortable person.
- A soft and plush chair is an example of comfortable furniture.
The definition of comfortable is mind and body being at ease or someone that makes a person feel secure, happy or relaxed.
- providing comfort or ease
- in a state of comfort; at ease in body or mind; contented
- Informal sufficient to satisfy; adequate: a comfortable salary
Origin of comfortableMiddle English from Medieval Latin confortabilis
a quilted bed covering; comforter
- Providing physical comfort: a comfortable chair.
- Free from stress or anxiety; at ease: not comfortable about the interview.
- Producing feelings of ease or security: a comfortable person; a comfortable evening at home.
- Sufficient to provide financial security: comfortable earnings.
(comparative comfortabler or more comfortable, superlative comfortablest or most comfortable)
- John Dryden
- a comfortable provision made for their subsistence
- Amply sufficient, satisfactory. [from 17th c.]
- A comfortable income should suffice to consider oneself rich.
- The home team is ahead by a comfortable margin.
- Providing physical comfort and ease; agreeable. [from 18th c.]
- This is the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in.
- In a state of comfort and content. [from 18th c.]
- What a great guestroom! I'll be quite comfortable here.