Variant of bum
- a vagrant, hobo, tramp, or beggar; specif., a shabby, often drunken derelict
- any shiftless or irresponsible person, loafer, idler, etc.
- a devotee, as of golf or skiing, who devotes so much time to the sport as to disrupt family life, career, etc.
- an incompetent person, esp. an athlete
Origin: ; from bummer, probably ; from German bummler, loafer, habitually tardy person ; from bummeln, to go slowly, waste time
intransitive verb bummed, bumming
- to live as a bum or vagrant
- to live by begging or sponging on people
Slang to get by begging or sponging; cadge: to bum a cigarette