A handsome man.
- An example of handsome is an attractive male actor.
- An example of handsome is a woman who is good looking but not necessarily pretty.
- An example of handsome is a beautiful and well-made coat.
- An example of handsome is a very large donation to charity.
- Now Rare moderately large
- large; impressive; considerable: a handsome sum
- generous; magnanimous; gracious: a handsome gesture
- good-looking; of pleasing appearance: said esp. of attractiveness that is manly, dignified, or impressive rather than delicate and graceful: a handsome lad, a handsome antique desk
Origin of handsomeorigin, originally , easily handled, convenient ; from Middle English handsom: see hand and amp; -some
- a. Pleasing in form or appearance, especially having strong or distinguished features: a handsome man; a woman with a handsome face.b. Having stately or attractive proportions or appearance; impressive: a handsome manor; a sleek, handsome car. See Synonyms at beautiful.
- Large in amount or measure; generous or considerable: a handsome reward; won by a handsome margin.
- Marked by or requiring skill or dexterity: did some handsome maneuvers on the skating rink.
- Appropriate or fitting: a handsome location for the new school.
Origin of handsomeMiddle English handsom, handy : hand, hand (from Old English) + -som, n. suff.; see –some1.
(comparative more handsome or handsomer, superlative most handsome or handsomest)
- Edmund Spenser,:
- For a thief it is so handsome as it may seem it was first invented for him
- (of a man) Agreeable to the eye or to correct taste; having a pleasing appearance or expression; attractive.
- a handsome man; a handsome garment, house, tree, horse.
- (of a woman) Striking, impressive and elegantly proportioned, though not typically beautiful.
- Suitable or fit in action; marked with propriety and ease; graceful; becoming; appropriate.
- a handsome style, etc.
- Evincing a becoming generosity or nobleness of character; liberal; generous.
- Handsome is as handsome does.
- Ample; moderately large.
- Having a good appearance
(third-person singular simple present handsomes, present participle handsoming, simple past and past participle handsomed)
- (obsolete) To render handsome.