The definition of handsome is someone (especially a man) who is good looking, something well made, or something substantial or generous.adjective
- An example of handsome is an attractive male actor.
- An example of handsome is a woman who is good looking but not necessarily pretty.
- An example of handsome is a beautiful and well-made coat.
- An example of handsome is a very large donation to charity.
- Now Rare moderately large
- large; impressive; considerable: a handsome sum
- generous; magnanimous; gracious: a handsome gesture
- good-looking; of pleasing appearance: said esp. of attractiveness that is manly, dignified, or impressive rather than delicate and graceful: a handsome lad, a handsome chair
Origin: orig., easily handled, convenient < ME handsom: see hand & -some
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
adjective hand·som·er, hand·som·est
- Pleasing and dignified in form or appearance. See Synonyms at beautiful.
- Generous or copious: a handsome reward. See Synonyms at liberal.
- Marked by or requiring skill dexterity: did some handsome maneuvers on the skating rink.
- Appropriate or fitting: a handsome location for the new school.
- Large: a handsome price; won by a handsome margin.
Origin: Middle English handsom, handy : hand, hand (from Old English) + -som, n. suff.; see -some1.
- handˈsome·ly adverb
- handˈsome·ness noun