- The definition of bounteous is given freely and generously, or plentiful.
When the soil is fertile, the rain is at the right level and crops grow better than ever, this is an example of when the earth is bounteous.
- giving freely and generously, without restraint
- provided in abundance; plentiful
Origin: Middle English bountevous ; from Old French bontive: see bounty; modern spelling, spelled as if ; from bounty
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Giving or inclined to give generously.
- Generously and copiously given. See Synonyms at liberal.
Origin: Middle English bountevous, from Old French bontive, benevolent, from bonte, bounty; see bounty.
- bounˈte·ous·ly adverb
- bounˈte·ous·ness noun