A large, bulky piece of furniture is an example of something that would be described as voluminous.
- writing, producing, consisting of, or forming enough material to fill volumes
- of great volume; large; bulky; full
- Archaic characterized by many coils or windings
Origin of voluminousLate Latin voluminosus, full of rolls or folds from volumen: see volume
- Having great volume or size: a voluminous trunk; a voluminous cloud.
- Filling or capable of filling a large volume or many volumes: the voluminous court record of the trial.
- Speaking or writing in great amounts or at great length: a voluminous talker.
- Archaic Having many coils; winding.
Origin of voluminousLate Latin volūminōsus having many folds from Latin volūmen volūmin- roll of writing ; see volume .
- vo·lu′mi·nos′i·ty vo·lu′mi·nous·ness