A large, bulky piece of furniture is an example of something that would be described as voluminous.
- writing, producing, consisting of, or forming enough material to fill volumes
- of great volume; large; bulky; full
- Archaic characterized by many coils or windings
Origin of voluminousLate Latin voluminosus, full of rolls or folds ; from volumen: see volume
- Having great volume or size: a voluminous trunk; a voluminous cloud.
- Filling or capable of filling a large volume or many volumes: the voluminous court record of the trial.
- Speaking or writing in great amounts or at great length: a voluminous talker.
- Archaic Having many coils; winding.
Origin of voluminousLate Latin vol&umacron;min&omacron;sus, having many folds, from Latin vol&umacron;men, vol&umacron;min-, roll of writing; see volume.
- vo·lu′mi·nos′i·ty , vo·lu′mi·nous·ness