voluminous[və lo̵̅o̅′mə nəs]
- The definition of voluminous is something large or abundant or that takes up a lot of space.
A large, bulky piece of furniture is an example of something that would be described as voluminous.
- writing, producing, consisting of, or forming enough material to fill volumes
- of great volume; large; bulky; full
- Archaic characterized by many coils or windings
Origin of voluminousLate Latin voluminosus, full of rolls or folds ; from volumen: see volume
- Having great volume or size: a voluminous trunk; a voluminous cloud.
- Filling or capable of filling a large volume or many volumes: the voluminous court record of the trial.
- Speaking or writing in great amounts or at great length: a voluminous talker.
- Archaic Having many coils; winding.
Origin of voluminousLate Latin volūminōsus, having many folds, from Latin volūmen, volūmin-, roll of writing; see volume.
- vo·lu′mi·nos′i·ty , vo·lu′mi·nous·ness