- The definition of voluminous is something large or abundant or that takes up a lot of space.
A large, bulky piece of furniture is an example of something that would be described as voluminous.
- writing, producing, consisting of, or forming enough material to fill volumes
- of great volume; large; bulky; full
- Archaic characterized by many coils or windings
Origin: LL voluminosus, full of rolls or folds from volumen: see volume
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Having great volume, fullness, size, or number: a voluminous trunk; a voluminous cloud.
- Filling or capable of filling a large volume or many volumes: the voluminous court record of the long trial.
- Ample or lengthy in speech or writing.
- Having many coils; winding.
Origin: Late Latin volūminōsus, having many folds, from Latin volūmen, volūmin-, roll of writing; see volume.
- vo·luˌmi·nosˈi·ty , vo·luˈmi·nous·ness noun
- vo·luˈmi·nous·ly adverb