- To ramble is defined as to write, speak or move aimlessly.
An example of to ramble is to talk for hours and hours about nothing.
- to roam about; esp., to walk or stroll about idly, without any special goal
- to talk or write aimlessly, without connection of ideas
- to grow or spread in all directions, as a vine
Origin: var. of Middle English romblen, frequentative of romen, to roam
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
intransitive verb ram·bled, ram·bling, ram·bles
- To move about aimlessly. See Synonyms at wander.
- To walk about casually or for pleasure.
- To follow an irregularly winding course of motion or growth.
- To speak or write at length and with many digressions.
Origin: Probably from Middle Dutch *rammelen, to wander about in a state of sexual desire, from rammen, to copulate with.