- The definition of amble is the walking, or gait, of a horse with the two legs on one side moving at the same time.
An example of amble is when at a horse show the horses showcase their gait.
- Amble is defined as a slow walk.
An example of an amble is when a person takes a stroll along the beach looking for seashells.
- Amble means to walk slowly.
An example of amble are two lovers slowly walking hand in hand.
- to move at a smooth, easy gait by raising first both legs on one side, then both on the other: said of a horse, etc.
- to go easily and unhurriedly; walk in a leisurely manner
Origin: Middle English amblen ; from Old French ambler ; from Classical Latin ambulare, to walk ; from ambi-, ambi- plush Indo-European base an unverified form al-, wander
- a horse's ambling gait
- a leisurely walking pace
- ambler noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
intransitive verb am·bled, am·bling, am·bles
- To walk slowly or leisurely; stroll.
- To move along at an easy gait by using both legs on one side alternately with both on the other. Used of a horse.
- An unhurried or leisurely walk.
- An easy gait, especially that of a horse.
Origin: Middle English amblen, from Old French ambler, from Latin ambulāre, to walk.
- amˈbler noun