A woman takes her dog for a stroll.
- The definition of a stroll is a leisurely or slow walk.
An example of a stroll is what you take on a warm summer afternoon to enjoy nature.
- Stroll means to take a leisurely or slow walk.
An example of stroll is when you walk down the street slowly, enjoying the day.
- to walk in an idle, leisurely manner; saunter
- to go from place to place; wander
Origin of strollEarly Modern English strowl, probably ; from Swiss German dialect, dialectal strolen, variant, variety of strolchen, to stroll ; from German strolch, vagabond, rascal, altered ; from Italian astrologo, astrologer
verbstrolled, stroll·ing, strolls
- To go for a leisurely walk: stroll in the park.
- To travel from place to place seeking work or gain.
Origin of strollProbably German dialectal strollen, variant of strolchen, from Strolch, fortuneteller, vagabond, perhaps from Italian dialectal strolegh, from Italian astròlogo, astrologer, fortuneteller, from Latin astrologus, astronomer, astrologer, from Greek astrologos; see astrology.
(third-person singular simple present strolls, present participle strolling, simple past and past participle strolled)