- controlled by an emotion or as if by an evil spirit; crazed; mad
- Owning or mastering something. Used with of : one who is possessed of great wealth.
- a. Controlled by a spirit, demon, god, or other supernatural force.b. Controlled by a strong inner drive; obsessed: possessed by love; possessed with rage.
- Calm; collected: one who remained possessed in times of great trial.
Usage Note: When the adjective possessed means “owning a thing, exhibiting an attribute,” it is followed by the preposition of : possessed of property; possessed of a sharp tongue. When possessed means “obsessed,” by or with follows: possessed by (or with ) an urge to kill.
- Simple past tense and past participle of possess.