- Amok means a person or thing committing murder or violent acts while in a crazed state of mind.
When a rapid dog begins biting its owner, it is an example of something being amok.
- The definition of amok is the action of murder or violence by a person in a crazed state of mind.
An example of something going amok is when during the L.A. riots people rampaged stores, killed civilians, and started fires.
- Amok is defined as a person or thing out of control, or defective.
An example of amok is when children are in a store, and they begin screaming and running about.
- Amok is an act by a person or group of people involving a crazed state of mind.
An example of an amok is when a group of people in Malaysia get together and go crazy murdering other people.
- to rush about in a frenzy to kill
- to lose control of oneself and behave outrageously or violently
- to become wild or undisciplined
Origin of amok; from Malay amuk, attacking furiously, ultimately ; from Old Javanese
(comparative more amok, superlative most amok)
Almost exclusively used in the phrase run amok.
- One who runs amok; in Malay and Moro/Philippine culture, one who attempts to kill many others, especially expecting that they will be killed themselves.