berserk[bər sʉrk′, -zʉrk′; bə-]
- The definition of berserk is someone or something that has lost control or is acting in a destructive way.
An example of berserk is a puppy running around and chewing on everything for no apparent reason.
Origin of berserksee berserker
- Destructively or frenetically violent: a berserk worker who started smashing all the windows.
- Mentally or emotionally upset; deranged: berserk with grief.
- Informal Unrestrained, as with enthusiasm or appetite; wild: berserk over chocolates.
- One that is violent, upset, or unrestrained.
- A berserker.
Origin of berserkBack-formation from berserker.
- A crazed Norse warrior who fought in a frenzy.
(comparative more berserk, superlative most berserk)
- Injuriously, maniacally, or furiously violent or out of control.
- After he watched his sister stabbed to death, he went berserk and attacked the killer like a beast or a wild animal.