- a growing of or developing into a leaf or leaves; leaf formation
- the state of being in leaf
- the way leaves are arranged in the bud; vernation
- the act or process of beating metal into layers
- a splitting into leaflike layers: said of certain minerals
- the property of splitting into such layers
- such layers
- the process of backing glass as with metal foil to make a mirror
- the consecutive numbering of leaves, rather than pages, of a book
- a decorating with leaflike ornamentation
- a leaflike decoration consisting of small arcs or foils
Origin: Midieval Latin foliatio: see foliate
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The state of being in leaf.
- Decoration with sculpted or painted foliage.
- Architecture Decoration of an opening with cusps and foils, as in Gothic tracery.
- a. The act, process, or product of forming metal into thin leaf or foil.b. The act or process of coating glass with metal foil.
- a. The process of numbering consecutively the leaves of a book or manuscript.b. The leaves so numbered.
- Geology The layered structure common to metamorphic rocks.
foliation - Science Definition
- foliated foliated adjective
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.