- Foliage is defined as plant or tree leaves.
An example of foliage is all of the leaves that are on the trees that change color in the fall.
Fall foliage beside a lake.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- leaves, as of a plant or tree; mass of leaves; leafage
- a decoration consisting of a representation of leaves, branches, flowers, etc.
Origin: Middle English foilage ; from Old French feuillage ; from feuille, a leaf ; from Lfolia ; from folium: see foliate
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. Plant leaves, especially tree leaves, considered as a group.b. A cluster of leaves.
- An ornamental representation of leaves, stems, and flowers, especially in architecture.
Origin: Alteration (influenced by Latin folium, leaf) of Middle English foilage, from Old French foillage, from foille, leaf; see foil2.
- foˈli·aged adjective