- Foliage is defined as plant or tree leaves.
An example of foliage is all of the leaves that are on the trees that change color in the fall.
Fall foliage beside a lake.
- leaves, as of a plant or tree; mass of leaves; leafage
- a decoration consisting of a representation of leaves, branches, flowers, etc.
Origin of foliageMiddle English foilage ; from Old French feuillage ; from feuille, a leaf ; from Lfolia ; from folium: see foliate
- a. Plant leaves, especially tree leaves, considered as a group.b. A cluster of leaves.
- An ornamental representation of leaves, stems, and flowers, especially in architecture.
Origin of foliageAlteration (influenced by Latin folium, leaf) of Middle English foilage, from Old French foillage, from foille, leaf; see foil2.
(countable and uncountable, plural foliages)