Fall foliage beside a lake.
- Foliage is defined as plant or tree leaves.
An example of foliage is all of the leaves that are on the trees that change color in the fall.
- leaves, as of a plant or tree; mass of leaves; leafage
- a decoration consisting of a representation of leaves, branches, flowers, etc.
Origin of foliageMiddle English foilage ; from Old French feuillage ; from feuille, a leaf ; from Lfolia ; from folium: see foliate
- a. Plant leaves, especially tree leaves, considered as a group.b. A cluster of leaves.
- An ornamental representation of leaves, stems, and flowers, especially in architecture.
Origin of foliageAlteration (influenced by Latin folium, leaf) of Middle English foilage, from Old French foillage, from foille, leaf; see foil2.
(countable and uncountable, plural foliages)