The lush vegetation of a rainforest.
- All the plants in the rain forest are an example of vegetation.
- A person who is brain dead is an example of someone who lives in a state of vegetation.
Vegetation is defined as growing plants, or a life without physical, mental or social activity.
- the act or process of vegetating
- plant life in general; specif., the flora of a specified region
- a dull, passive, unthinking existence
- Med. any abnormal outgrowth on a part of the body
Origin of vegetationMedieval Latin vegetatio, growth from LL, an enlivening: see vegetate
- The plants of an area or a region; plant life: hills sparsely covered with vegetation.
- The act or process of vegetating.
- Medicine An abnormal growth on a body part.
(countable and uncountable, plural vegetations)
From Middle French végétation.