- An example of flora is the one word to discuss all the plants common to the area around Lake Tahoe.
- An example of flora is the healthy organisms that keep your stomach healthy.
- An example of Flora is a first name in the United States.
- a feminine name
- Rom. Myth. the goddess of flowers
- pl. -·ras or -·rae the plants of a specified region or time: the flora of Africa
- a descriptive, systematic list of such plants
Origin of floraClassical Latin ; from flos, flower: adopted by Linnaeus (1745) as term for the plants of a region
nounpl. flo·ras or flo·rae
- Plants considered as a group, especially the plants of a particular country, region, or time.
- A treatise describing the plants of a region or time.
- The bacteria and other microorganisms that normally inhabit a bodily organ or part: intestinal flora.
Origin of floraFrom Flora.
Origin of FloraLatin Fl&omacron;ra, from fl&omacron;s, fl&omacron;r-, flower; see bhel-3 in Indo-European roots.
(plural floras or florae or floræ)
From Latin Flora (“goddess of flowers”)
From Latin Flōra (“Flowers, Spring”)