- An example of vegetative is growing vegetables from seed, vegetative starter.
- An example of vegetative is a person with major brain damage showing no mental activity or emotion, a vegetative existence.
The definition of vegetative is something that relates to plants or shows little brain function.
- of vegetation, or plants
- of or concerned with vegetation, or plant growth
- growing, or capable of growing, as plants
- designating or of those functions or parts of plants concerned with growth and nutrition as distinguished from reproduction
- capable of causing growth in plants; fertile: vegetative material
- characterized by a passive existence
- characterized by extremely limited responsiveness and brain activity: a patient in a vegetative state
- Zool. of or pertaining to reproduction by budding or other asexual method
Origin of vegetativeMiddle English ; from Medieval Latin vegetativus ; from Classical Latin vegetatus: see vegetate
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of plants or their growth.
- Biology a. Of, relating to, or capable of growth.b. Of, relating to, or functioning in processes such as growth or nutrition rather than reproduction.c. Of or relating to asexual reproduction, such as fission or budding.
- Spending much time sitting or lying down; physically inactive.
- Medicine Of or relating to an impaired level of brain function in which a person responds to certain sensory stimuli but demonstrates no cognitive function.
(comparative more vegetative, superlative most vegetative)
- Of, or relating to plants; especially to their growth.
- (biology) Of, or relating to functions such as growth, nutrition and asexual reproduction rather than sexual reproduction.
- Physically inactive.
- (medicine) Of a state of impaired brain function, where a person can respond to some stimuli but is incapable of voluntary acts.