- An affectation is defined as a pretentious and fake action or change in speech or behavior intended to get the attention of other people.
An example of an affectation would be an artificial accent.
- The definition of an affectation is an attempt to appear to be possessed.
An example of an affectation is the behavior of the character in the movie Carrie.
affectation definition by Webster's New World
- an affecting or pretending to like, have, etc.; show or pretense
- artificial behavior meant to impress others; mannerism for effect
Origin: Classical Latin affectatio ; from past participle of affectare, affect
affectation definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A show, pretense, or display.
- a. Behavior that is assumed rather than natural; artificiality.b. A particular habit, as of speech or dress, adopted to give a false impression.
Origin: Latin affectātiō, affectātiōn-, from affectātus, past participle of affectāre, to strive after; see affect2.