- An example of transmission is when something travels over cable wires to get to its destination.
- An example of the transmission of a virus is when a person spreads a cold virus by sneezing on someone else.
Transmission is the act of sending something like a cold or a message, or the part of a machine that transmits power from the engine to the moving parts.
- a transmitting or being transmitted
- something transmitted
- the part of a motor vehicle, machine, etc. that transmits power from the engine to the driven members, as the wheels, by means of belts, fluids, gears, etc.
- the passage of radio waves through space between the transmitting station and the receiving station
Origin of transmissionClassical Latin transmissio from transmissus, past participle of transmittere: see transmit
- a. The act or process of transmitting.b. The fact of being transmitted.
- Something, such as a message, that is transmitted.
- An assembly, as in a motor vehicle, that transmits power from an engine to a driving axle, usually having a manually or automatically adjustable mechanism to control the balance of power and speed. Also called gearbox .
- The sending of a signal, picture, or other information from a transmitter.
Origin of transmissionLatin trānsmissiō trānsmissiōn- a sending across from trānsmissus past participle of trānsmittere to transmit ; see transmit.
- The act of transmitting, e.g. data or electric power.
- The fact of being transmitted.
- Something that is transmitted, such as a message, picture or a disease; the sending of such a thing.
- (biology) The passage of a nerve impulse across synapses.
- (automotive) An assembly of gears through which power is transmitted from the engine to the driveshaft in a motor car / automobile; a gearbox.
- (law) The right possessed by an heir or legatee of transmitting to his successor(s) any inheritance, legacy, right, or privilege, to which he is entitled, even if he should die without enjoying or exercising it.
From Latin transmissionem (nominative of transmissio), from transmittere.
transmission - Computer Definition
The transfer of data over a communications channel.