- The definition of contagion is an infectious disease spread through contact, or the transmission of a disease from one person to another through contact, or the spread of a bad or harmful idea or practice.
- The virus that causes a staph infection is an example of a contagion.
- The spread of a staph infection from one patient to another as a result of close contact in a hospital is an example of contagion.
- The spread of a dangerous political idea like communism from one person to another is an example of contagion.
- the spreading of disease from one individual to another by direct or indirect contact
- any disease thus spread; contagious disease
- the causative agent of a communicable disease; bacteria or virus
- contagious quality
- the spreading of an emotion, idea, custom, etc. from person to person until many are affected: the contagion of mirth
- the emotion, idea, etc. so spread
- a bad influence that tends to spread; corruption
Origin of contagionMiddle English contagioun ; from Classical Latin contagio, a touching ; from contingere: see contact
- a. Disease transmission by direct or indirect contact.b. A disease that is or may be transmitted by direct or indirect contact; a contagious disease.c. The direct cause, such as a bacterium or virus, of a communicable disease.
- Psychology The spread of a behavior pattern, attitude, or emotion from person to person or group to group through suggestion, propaganda, rumor, or imitation.
- A harmful, corrupting influence: feared that violence on television was a contagion affecting young viewers.
- The tendency to spread, as of a doctrine, influence, or emotional state.
Origin of contagionMiddle English contagioun, from Latin contāgiō, contāgiōn-, from contingere, contāct-, to touch; see contact.
- A disease spread by contact
- The spread or transmission of such a disease
- The spread of anything harmful, as if it were such a disease
- (finance) A situation in which small shocks, which initially affect only a few financial institutions or a particular region of an economy, spread to the rest of financial sectors and other countries whose economies were previously healthy.
- (finance) A resulting recession or crisis developed in such manner.
contagion - Investment & Finance Definition
Unanticipated negative events in one market or region that may spread to another market or region. Contagion often is a concern in emerging markets, where one country’s poor economic performance, high inflation, or lack of investor confidence may cause investors to flee nearby markets as well.