- The definition of contamination is something that contaminates (causes an impurity) or is something that has been made impure or spoiled.
Toxic waste that spoils the water supply is an example of contamination.
contamination definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a contaminating or being contaminated
- something that contaminates
Origin: Middle English contaminacioun ; from Classical Latin contaminatio
contamination definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- a. The act or process of contaminating.b. The state of being contaminated.
- One that contaminates.
contamination - Medical Definition
- The act or process of rendering something harmful or unsuitable.
- The presence of extraneous, especially infectious, material that renders a substance or preparation impure or harmful.