Toxic waste that spoils the water supply is an example of contamination.
- a contaminating or being contaminated
- something that contaminates
Origin of contaminationMiddle English contaminacioun ; from Classical Latin contaminatio
- a. The act or process of contaminating.b. The state of being contaminated.
- One that contaminates.
- The act or process of contaminating; pollution; defilement; taint; also, that which contaminates.
- (linguistics) A process whereby words with related meanings come to have similar sounds.
- (linguistics, etymology) The influence of one form (often from a foreign language) on the historical development of another form to which it may be related in meaning.
- The process of making a material or surface unclean or unsuited for its intended purpose, usually by the addition or attachment of undesirable foreign substances.