- The definition of contamination is something that contaminates (causes an impurity) or is something that has been made impure or spoiled.
Toxic waste that spoils the water supply is an example of contamination.
- a contaminating or being contaminated
- something that contaminates
Origin: Middle English contaminacioun ; from Classical Latin contaminatio
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. The act or process of contaminating.b. The state of being contaminated.
- One that contaminates.
contamination - Medical Definition
- The act or process of rendering something harmful or unsuitable.
- The presence of extraneous, especially infectious, material that renders a substance or preparation impure or harmful.