contamination[kən tam′ə nā′s̸hən]
- The definition of contamination is something that contaminates (causes an impurity) or is something that has been made impure or spoiled.
Toxic waste that spoils the water supply is an example of contamination.
- a contaminating or being contaminated
- something that contaminates
Origin of contaminationMiddle English contaminacioun ; from Classical Latin contaminatio
- a. The act or process of contaminating.b. The state of being contaminated.
- One that contaminates.
- The act or process of contaminating; pollution; defilement; taint; also, that which contaminates.
- (linguistics) A process whereby words with related meanings come to have similar sounds.
- The process of making a material or surface unclean or unsuited for its intended purpose, usually by the addition or attachment of undesirable foreign substances.