(countable and uncountable, plural sterilizations)
- (uncountable) The process of treating something to kill or inactivate microorganisms.
- Heat sterilization is used during canning so the food can be safely stored for long periods.
- (uncountable) A procedure to permanently prevent an organism from reproducing.
- Spaying a cat is a form of sterilization to limit the population growth.
- (countable) an instance of a sterilization procedure
- The vet performed several sterilizations this week.
- (uncountable) A monetary policy operation used to offset a foreign exchange intervention.
- The Federal Reserve is responsible for foreign exchange sterilization.
Variant of sterilize
transitive verbsterilized, sterilizing
to make sterile; specif.,
- to make incapable of producing others of its kind, as by removing the organs of reproduction or preventing them from functioning effectively
- to make (land) unproductive
- to free from living microorganisms, as by subjecting to great heat or chemical action
Also Chiefly Brit.sterilise